How to join or renew your membership:
As of January 1, 2020, there is no national membership of the CCA. Membership is at the Chapter level only, and gets you access to our discount program and our newsletters, as well as reduced rates at events.
To get a membership, or to renew, please contact June Williams, membership chair: 613-692-3308 or email@example.com.
The benefits of membership include:
- Access to discounts at numerous Ottawa businesses/restaurants
- Support for cutting-edge research on celiac disease and gluten sensitivity
- Four chapter newsletters per year providing information on upcoming meetings, events, issues on CD and DH, recipes and up-to-date gluten-free product information
- Advocacy work with industry, government and academia to work for a better Canada for those who have to eat gluten free, including stronger labeling regulations
- Work on educating food service providers, restaurants and institutions on safely providing gluten-free meals
- and much more.
IMPORTANT! - CHANGES TO MEMBERSHIP AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL (SEPTEMBER 2019)
The CCA has decided on a major change to its funding model. As of January 1, 2020, there will be no more national membership; funding will mostly come instead from donations.
Why are they doing this?
- Most charitable organizations in Canada have been shifting to the donor model.
- Membership has gone down, as millennials are less likely to take out "memberships".
- National feels that fundraising can bring in more funds, to support CCA programs, research, education, etc. Donations, unlike membership, are eligible for a tax receipt.
- Instead of membership lists (which are short), they will keep a larger donor list. This means all past members of the CCA, as well as all donors going forward, will be on the list and receive things like newsletters. So you will continue receiving newsletters from National, unless you unsubscribe.
What were the concerns with this proposal?
- Membership is a large component of our funding for the national office, so we are forgoing that major revenue stream.
- Intense fundraising initiatives will be required to make up the difference so the CCA can expand education, research and support activities. This means more events and other fundraising pitches.
What about the Ottawa Chapter?
- As is its right, the Ottawa Chapter board has decided to continue membership at the Chapter level. We are looking at a membership rate of $20 per year. So you will be able to continue membership, but it will be with the Ottawa Chapter, not with the National organization.
When would this change take place?
- Starting right away, when your membership expires, National will invite you to consider a donation, rather than continuing membership. National memberships will not be sold after January 1, 2020, so that all national memberships will expire by the end of 2020.
Why would the Ottawa Chapter continue membership if National isn't?
- The Ottawa Chapter is strong, active and firmly established, in operation since 1981.
- We also wish to continue our successful discount program, where members can SAVE at more than a dozen area businesses (including Strawberry Blonde Bakery, here tonight!) We are looking at expanding this program as well.
What should I do?
- Ask us any questions you might have!
- To join or renew your CCA Ottawa Chapter membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-692-3308.
Ottawa Chapter services are solely provided by its volunteers. If you wish to volunteer your time please contact us at email@example.com